Through ongoing evaluation of energy market design and performance and the practices of other best-in-class electric market performers, MISO identifies ways to improve performance and increase value to its member markets. Together with stakeholders, MISO incorporates the highest value enhancements and products throughout the development life cycle. The Market Roadmap guides the ongoing development and implementation of projects that enhance MISO’s suite of market services.
Foster wholesale electric markets that deliver reliable and economically efficient outcomes.
Five principles serve as guideposts for progressing toward the Market Vision:
- Support an economically efficient wholesale market system that minimizes cost to distribute and deliver electricity
- Facilitate non-discriminatory market participation regardless of resource type, business model, sector or location
- Develop transparent market prices reflective of marginal system cost and cost allocation reflective of cost-causation and service beneficiaries
- Support market participants in making efficient operational and investment decisions
- Maximize alignment of market requirements with system reliability requirements
Market enhancement projects fall into at least one of seven development focus areas.
- Enhance unit commitment and economic dispatch processes
- Maximize economic utilization of existing and planned transmission infrastructure
- Improve efficiency of prices under all operating condition
- Facilitate efficient transactions across market “seams” with neighboring regions
- Streamline market administrative processes that reduce transaction costs
- Maximize availability of non-confidential and non-competitive market information
- Support Efficient Development of Resources Consistent with Long-term Reliability and/or Public Policy Objectives