North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Reliability Standard MOD-033-1 establishes consistent validation requirements to facilitate the collection of accurate data and building of planning models to analyze the reliability of the interconnected transmission system. MOD-033-1 is effective from July 1, 2017. MOD-033-1 consists of two requirements:
- R1. Each Planning Coordinator shall implement a documented data validation process that includes the following attributes:
- Powerflow model validation at least once every 24 calendar months through simulation;
- Dynamic model validation at least once every 24 calendar months through simulation
- Guidelines the Planning Coordinator will use to determine unacceptable differences in performance
- Guidelines to resolve the unacceptable differences in performance identified under Part 1.3
- R2. Each Reliability Coordinator and Transmission Operator shall provide actual system behavior data to any Planning Coordinator performing validation under Requirement R1 within 30 calendar days of a written request.
Read the NERC MOD-033-1 Standard
MOD-033-1 is applicable to the following NERC Functional Entities:
- Planning Authority and Planning Coordinator
Responsibility: To implement a documented data validation process that includes the attributes R1.1, R1.1, R1.3 and R1.4
- Reliability Coordinator and Transmission Operator
Responsibility: Reliability Coordinator and Transmission Operator shall provide actual system behavior data (or a written response that it does not have the requested data) to any Planning Coordinator performing validation under Requirement R1 within 30 calendar days of a written request, such as, but not limited to, state estimator case or other Real-time data (including disturbance data recordings) necessary for actual system response validation.
MISO MOD-033-1 Model Validation Process
Pursuant to requirement R1 of MOD-033-1, MISO’s has developed MOD-033-1 model validation process, which can be downloaded from the link below. This document outlines the procedures to validate planning power flow and dynamics models against actual system responses and process to resolve the unacceptable differences.
Review the MOD-033-1 Model Validation Process